Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Top 20 Song Discoveries of 2012

I'd like to begin my stating that my biggest discovery of 2012* is definitely my babylove, but musically I've been blessed with learning of such great sounds**. Sometimes it's easy to forget about new and upcoming, "hip" music--what with it changing every 5 minutes and all..

I tend to forget that there's music after 2005. What's on the radio, sure, I'm familiar with it. But I'm not even sure myself if I like it because it's beaten into my mind, or because I genuinely like it. Which is why I'm such a huge fan of making playlists for people***. A person, whether you know them or getting to know them, gives you a collection of songs they think you'll enjoy or they themselves enjoy, and you either get it or you don't. Was that a run-on? Ugh, I can't tell anymore. Either the music speaks to you or it goes over your radar. And it's as simple as that.

If you get it, then you're opened up to a whole new artist or group, band--what have you. A whole new album or string of albums. And who knows, maybe even an entire new genre!

If you don't get it, well, you continue to stay and live in your own drab existence of the same old melodic bullshit. Not that it's bullshit completely, but it's safe and typical****. Of yourself, that is.. ha! And where's the fun in that? No growth? No experimenting? No... expansion? Bleh. No fun!! Is what that is. But back to the fun part of 'getting it'----

If your ears love what they hear once they're graced with new music, it can become a precedent for that moment or that year. The same way certain parts of your life can have smells. A song can transport you right back to a place and time, to a special moment or series of events. So in the height of my amazing year, I wanted to reflect a bit and give you/myself a run down on my top 20 musical discoveries of 2012. I'm SURE I'm leaving out some artists*****. And I even cheated a bit by doubling up on songs. So... there it is:


1. Friendly Driver - "You're A Legend, Sir"

2. For The Foxes - "Where The Heartache Is" // "Moonlight Ride"

3. The Front Bottoms - "Maps" // "Flashlight" // "Father"

4.  Two Door Cinema Club - "Undercover Martyn" // "What You Want"

5. Gaslight Anthem - "Boomboxes and Dictionaries" // "We Came To Dance"

6. The Naked and Famous - "Punching In A Dream"

7. Wale // Fab - "Diced Pineapples" // "Diced Pineapples Remix"

8. Digitalism - "Pogo"

9. Rihanna - "You Da One" // "We Found Love" // "Diamonds"

10. Stars - "The Theory of Relativity" // "Elevator Love Letter"

11. Maps & Atlases - "Winter" // "Remote & Dark Years" // "Silver Self"

12. Blue Sky Black Death - "Days Are Years" // "Honestly" // "Tokyo Underground"

13. CCS - "Let's Make Love & Listen To Death From Above"

14. Memoryhouse - "To The Lighthouse" (remix)

15. Bensh - "Doubt" // "Sweet Repeater"

16. Sigur Ros - "Untitled 4" // "Olsen Olsen"

17. Suckers - "Black Sheep"

18. The Daylights - "I Hope This Gets To You"

19. Of Monsters and Men - "Little Talks"

20. Stateless - "Bloodstream"

Whatever-the-case, Merry New Year Folks!







*and quite possibly of my entire life
**also due to my beautiful discovery of a certain male counterpart. 
***mixtapes, back in my day.
****And for fuck's sake don't you get tired of replaying the same 6 albums? I don't care how good they are. Every album needs a break at SOME point!
*****Animal Collective, Cloud Nothings, Flying Lotus, The Antlers, How To Dress Well, etc, etc, ETC!!

No comments: